Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Gear Oils

Gear Oils

It's about time this place gets some content built up. A question that has past started gear head wars but in any case should be a topic here.

What type of oil do you use in your axles? :grayjeep::bluejeep::greenjeep::whitejeep::redjeep ::yellowjeep:
    :band:

Never synthetic for me :)

Y never sunthetic? Elaborate please
    Bryan

With the synthetic gear oil you must change every 15,000miles or trouble can happen from high heat that synthetic gear oil can not conduct. Synthetic gear oil is not better then dyno gear oil,it is actually worse at pulling heat away from the gears and bearings in diffs(works great in engines though).

Also most axle seals have a hard time with synthetics causing premature failure. I see people saying all the time "I need to replace a leaky axle seal", and most of those peeps run synthetic. I've never replaced an axle seal (well only when I built my new axle) it's great for motors where the temps are more regulated but not in a diff.

But I sniff men's underwear so what do I know :)

Dyno for me in the axles. :)

Now with my engine I might be switching back from synthetic due to so much oil being consumed.

Bat Shit Crazy Obstruction of Justice's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
    With the synthetic gear oil you must change every 15,000miles or trouble can happen from high heat that synthetic gear oil can not conduct. Synthetic gear oil is not better then dyno gear oil,it is actually worse at pulling heat away from the gears and bearings in diffs(works great in engines though).

Also most axle seals have a hard time with synthetics causing premature failure. I see people saying all the time "I need to replace a leaky axle seal", and most of those peeps run synthetic. I've never replaced an axle seal (well only when I built my new axle) it's great for motors where the temps are more regulated but not in a diff.

But I sniff men's underwear so what do I know :)
    This is what I've heard/read.

And Dirt Princess, I thought going back from synthetic causes a list of problems, something like with the lifters and valves and timing blah blah blah, I could be dead wrong and I'd bet my first born it won't be the last, but this was my understanding. Anybody with actual knowledge care to chime in and let me know how wrong I am???

well fuck me, I just put in royal purple synth, it def is louder than dyno for some reason
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

Under Observation GoodysGotaCuda's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I have run Mobil 1 Synthetic since 1,000 miles on my JK. Never had any problems with it. However I'll probably end up just going back with dino. I swap it out more frequently than I really have to...but we'll see. It's been working just fine and have driven plenty in HOT off-road conditions (Vegas summers)
    I like turtles

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I go with what ever the dealer recommends. Mainly due to the lifetime power train warranty on my 08 JKU.
    Hey Dickhead, get out of the fast lane! Unless you're passing of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction of Justice View Post
    This is what I've heard/read.

And Dirt Princess, I thought going back from synthetic causes a list of problems, something like with the lifters and valves and timing blah blah blah, I could be dead wrong and I'd bet my first born it won't be the last, but this was my understanding. Anybody with actual knowledge care to chime in and let me know how wrong I am???
    I've heard that as well but I don't know if it's true or not. The issues I'm having is major oil consumption where I'm having to put over 2 1/2 quarts of oil in every 2000 miles. I've tried going to heavier oil for now to see if that helps. If it doesnt change I will go back to dyno because I've been told some JK's just do not handle synthetic very well. We will see........

But for axles I stick with dyno after reading up on it.

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Mobile 1 ...changed every 15,000 (so twice). No issues.

Just curious, since it was brought up ...what are issues people have has with switching from synthetic to dino?

I just went through all this with my Axles. I run a Currie 9" front and rear and a HI9 in the rear and wanted to use synthetic and was told not to from both currie and HI9. They said to run "Required gear oil: 85-140 NON-Synthetic" I guess it's like the Question "The Chicken or the Egg"
    Http://www.jesteroffroad.com Give him a try for your Offroading Needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    lol, I'm rich with family and friends. Just let us know and we will make it so.:toast:

I have been told by Currie and other manufactures that using synthetic can void the warranty. I was having heat issues with my rear RJ60 and Currie told me to drain the royal purple and go dino ASAP. I change my dif oil every year anyway (after numerous water crossings), so syn is a waste of money for me.

Currie noticed years ago that almost all of their dif failures were happening with synthetic. They rigged up a special test dif with sensors on the inside and found that the actual synthetic gear oil ran cooler, but the gears ran significantly hotter. What they found was that the synthetic did a poor job of transferring the heat from the gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
    I have been told by Currie and other manufactures that using synthetic can void the warranty. I was having heat issues with my rear RJ60 and Currie told me to drain the royal purple and go dino ASAP. I change my dif oil every year anyway (after numerous water crossings), so syn is a waste of money for me.

Currie noticed years ago that almost all of their dif failures were happening with synthetic. They rigged up a special test dif with sensors on the inside and found that the actual synthetic gear oil ran cooler, but the gears ran significantly hotter. What they found was that the synthetic did a poor job of transferring the heat from the gears.
    I was also told that it would void the warranty and everything I have read said the same thing regarding the heat