Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah I had to replace the seats. ;) but that was a fun day. Maybe some day I'll have the balls to go up that crazy thing. Plus you did the buggy coarse driving my jeep. That was cool :)

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I wish I had 15's but my Jeep had 18's on it when I got it and my tread is still like brand new or I would replace my wheels.

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Just for S&G, here's a Willies pickup on 15's with 42's (or 44's - can't remember exactly)..

Yep all above jeeps are nice
    Bryan

I'm seriously considering going to 15's. The price point for tires is very nice, as I am somwhat of a cheap bastage, but I know the tire selection is more limited. Any other pros vs. cons for someone considering this?

Quote Originally Posted by JKWolf View Post
    I'm seriously considering going to 15's. The price point for tires is very nice, as I am somwhat of a cheap bastage, but I know the tire selection is more limited. Any other pros vs. cons for someone considering this?
    the doc's $150 HD tie rod won't work with 15's and they are a little harder to balance. I love mine though, all that sidewall is great for crawling on some rocks
    "I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals"

Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    VIVA LA DICKY

Quote Originally Posted by dickyB View Post
    the doc's $150 HD tie rod won't work with 15's and they are a little harder to balance. I love mine though, all that sidewall is great for crawling on some rocks
    Cool I have a 2.5 RK lift sitting waiting for me to order more goodies before I install it, I found some soft 8 knockoffs for dirt cheap on Jegs. Just not sure how good they are going to look in person

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Like DickyB said - aftermarket Tie Rods will be tricky. The Curry HD doesn't even come close to fitting. This week, I am ordering the Poly Performance Tie Rod. According to their tech, their Tie Rod will work with 15's, so long you have at least 4.5" of backspacing. I'm running ProComp 1069's (3.75" backspacing) so I should be fine. Their Tie Rod uses the same end as their Drag Link (which I currently have installed) and looking at the size of it, it should clear the wheel.

Tires for 15's will definitely require balancing a bit more frequently. I picked up a bit of a bump steer due partially to balancing (around 15,000 miles) so I can attest to that.

The good:
    * Obviously, much more sidewall for traction (especially while deflated).
    * Prices. Typically, tires for 15" wheels are much cheaper than those for 16's or 17's.
    * Lighter weight. This is not always the case, but it is with the tires I was interested in (BFG, Toyos and Pitbulls). Namely because of the Load Rating (also called Ply Rating - not to be confused with "Load Index") - my BFG KM2's (for example) have a Load Rating of "C" (6 Ply), as opposed to "D" (8 Ply) or "E" (10 Ply). My 35x12.5R15's weigh 59.94 lbs, whereas the 37x12.5R17's (Load Range D) weigh 66.42 lbs.
    * It's subjective, but IMHO, the 15's just look better.

The bad:
    * Tie Rod upgrade will have limited selection.
    * Heavy duty brake upgrade not possible (requires 17's).
    * Will require balancing more frequently.
    * Sidewall strength (Load Rating) is generally lower than that of 16's or 17's.
    Last edited by JeepCali; 02-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Last edited by JeepCali; 02-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Cool I have a 2.5 RK lift sitting waiting for me to order more goodies before I install it, I found some soft 8 knockoffs for dirt cheap on Jegs. Just not sure how good they are going to look in person
    You might want to look at ProComp 8069's or 7069's. They're alloy, not steel, so they are going to weigh less (I'm assuming the Soft 8 knockoffs are steel). They won't be as strong as steel, of course, but you will save on weight. Admittedly, I'm not the hardest of hardcore wheelers, but my alloys have done just fine so far - they've taken several good beatings and are still holding up fine.

Procomp 8069:

Procomp 7069: