Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Rear Pinion Seal

The JK started leaking recently, pulled off the slider and could tell it was coming form the pinion seal. No biggie, had some trouble finding the part but got one from auto zone, couple quarts of Royal Purple 75W140. Went home and drained the diff fluid, then got drive line disconnected. Didn't have a socket thin enough to fit in the yoke. Fun...

Drove to 5 stores looking for a 1 5/16" thin wall socket and found nothing. Finally bought a thin wall 34mm which didn't fit well at all. Called around and couldn't find a 33mm thin wall. By this point I was frustrated enough to put my impact to that bitch anyway. Finally get the nut off and pull the seal. Grabbed the new seal from the box, could tell just by looking at it, not the correct part.

5 hours into a project that should take about 30 mins, I had to quit. Strapped the driveline up out of the way and backed the Jeep up about 6 feet to get it in the garage. Thankfully I had cold beer waiting for me...

I believe I found the correct part at a Jeep dealership that I'll pick up this afternoon. I also have one on order from Oreilly's so I'll be able to post a couple part numbers to not purchase, and the correct part number later today. When this fucking thing is mobile again....

2004 TJ

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0aba888.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dr. Dirty just won the Internet singehanded.

white people problems
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

Under Observation
    Date Committed
    Aug 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's a dealer only part. I couldn't find a store or even online that listed one.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    you get this worked out Chris?

I had a similar issue. A regular sized socket fit the yoke at the TC but I had to use a thinner walled socket at the dif. PITA
    TC
    Crawling For Reid May 13 - 15, 2016 Adventure OffRoad Park
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670437756568674/

Two words: Kevin Young. That is all...

Quote Originally Posted by just_in View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a dealer only part. I couldn't find a store or even online that listed one.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by tcDawg View Post
    you get this worked out Chris?

I had a similar issue. A regular sized socket fit the yoke at the TC but I had to use a thinner walled socket at the dif. PITA
    Got it sorted out, been busy as fuck at work, I'll get this updated shortly

So the part from Oreilly's look basically identical, so I believe it would would work just fine...

National 710741
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1454&ppt=C0362

Autozone does not have a pinion seal that will work with the Dana 44's.

I ended up getting the part from a Jeep dealership, abotu $35. Part number is 68003265AA