Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: m101a3 build

m101a3 build

Here is my trailer i am working on
    M101a3, got for a deal at $500, came with the side rails, bows and tarp. Usually you can only find these missing all the other items.

I wanted to use this for hauling and camping, so I originally found a truck bed tent that would work. Mounted it up and it was alright, but i wasn't real thrilled with the setup. I wanted something quick and easy to deploy at camp

Finally sold that tent and convinced frenchy to get me a RTT for Christmas. She was very nice and got me a Tepui Kukenam ruggedized XL. This thing is huge and a bit stronger than the usual RTT's out there. Was made to mount on a trailer and take off road

I got the gray, instead of the orange, as that was way too bright for my tastes, plus I HATE orange.

Lately i have been trying to find a local fabricator to make a roof rack of sorts for the trailer. A few I talked to couldn't grasp the concept, even with pictures. I found an off road shop that a lot of the locals use. They said they knew exactly what i wanted, but it was like pulling teeth to get call backs and get a price. They finally came back with a initial price of $1700. FUCK THAT

So friends told me to just get a welder, learn and do it myself. Well that is what I am going to do.

I found a good used mig on Craigslist for $600, came with the cart, tank, helmet, gloves and some other stuff I would have had to buy separately.

Now i just need to practice with the help of my neighbor, who is a pretty good welder as is and get this rack built.

Other things that will go on the trailer that I have saved up for the build.

Tent heater

Xantrex prosine power inverter/charger 2500 watts, neighbor gave me this monster, just need to get some batteries for it. This retailed for over $3000 new, he just wanted it out of his garage

Hands up, Don't shoot!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Your friends are idiots! You should have paid the $1700

Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirty View Post
    No shit

Sent from the ether

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
    No shit

Sent from the ether
    Is it done yet?

So I found a design I want to steal ideas from. I like that this adjusts down for travel and up for camping. I got the annex with the tent and it needs to be at least 5.5 feet off the ground. I don't want the tent up,that high to cut down what little fuel mileage I have. I found the gas struts at McMaster carcia. Just need to figure out the setup

Sent from the ether

One of the first things I did was get rid of the stick surge brake setup.

It was nice when it worked, but the shock was shot and it is a huge, heavy unit

That was removed, and I had the bob weld up an adjustable lunette channel and lunette ring.

I ran this for a few years and it was nice, did what it was intended for, but banged around when stopping/starting, and ended up irritating me every time I towed the trailer

I recently replaced it with a second gen lock n roll hitch.

This is real nice and very quiet.

I think it even tows better.

Sent from the ether

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
    So I found a design I want to steal ideas from. I like that this adjusts down for travel and up for camping. I got the annex with the tent and it needs to be at least 5.5 feet off the ground. I don't want the tent up,that high to cut down what little fuel mileage I have. I found the gas struts at McMaster carcia. Just need to figure out the setup

Sent from the ether
    Check out Phoenix's trailer build. Seems to almost be exact to what you are looking at. Same RTT too.

http://www.disconnectedoffroad.com/f...oject-gryphon/

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Check out Phoenix's trailer build. Seems to almost be exact to what you are looking at. Same RTT too.

http://www.disconnectedoffroad.com/f...oject-gryphon/
    nice, pretty much what i want to do with a few tweaks. Good thread over there

a couple other things save for this build are an arb awning that i used on the jeep. And yes the huge pre-runner guard is now gone off the jeep

Also a zodi hot tap, found this on CL a few years ago for a great price. It works pretty damn well, but the pump it came with sucks. I recently got a 12v pump i want to incorporate and add a tank to recirculate the water and have water for a shower or cleanup

Also want to add on some type of mount for a propane tank, co2 tank, maybe the hi-lift and other farkles, such as some led lighting. Even thought about adding a set of vision x tantrum lights underneath and up top for the tent.

Here is another rack design i found, i like the front shelf this guy added, might do the same or maybe a truck toolbox would fit also and have some secure storage.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirty View Post
    Funny shit right there! Looking forward to seeing this project come along man.
    2004 TJ

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0aba888.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dr. Dirty just won the Internet singehanded.

Neighbor helped me put in a 220 outlet and hooked me up with a beefy extension cord. Gonna go get some scrap tomorrow to make up a welding table

Sent from the ether

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Nice. Make sure you take pics.

Made a table today, nothing fancy but it'll do pig

Sent from the ether

Started on the trailer today, gave up on the adjustable rack and made it fixed
    Progress today

Just want to get it done in time for the crawling for Reid event in March

Sent from the ether

Comin along nice

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Nice,Damn wish you lived in California.

Cut the height down some, was too tall to fit in the garage

Main rack almost done, just need to clean up the welds and paint, going to put a shelf on the front of the trailer. Already picked up a sheet of diamond plate for that

Sent from the ether

More progress, removed the front support and put up a shelf for coolers and dead hookers

Sent from the ether

Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    The trailer is looking good.

Speaking of dead hookers...

frenchlayers buddy 1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
    my wife shit in my face, bit my dick, and my neighbor came out of the closet..

2011 JK SPORT__________________________________________________ _________Kapt Krappy