Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Project: Trail Boss XL

Starting the newest shop project... We sold our Trail Boss TJ awhile back and I need a TJ. :D

A good starting point:

This TJ came to us from a long time customer and friend that moved on to a Wrangler JKu to better suit is family needs.

Current list of equipment:

Engine: Chevy 6.0l
    Trans: 4L80E
    Tcase: ATLAS II (4.3:1)
    Diffs: Currie RJD60, 5.13s and ARBs
    Suspension: TnT Customs Dual Triangulated long arms, coils and bilstiens, some stretch is already applied...
    WB: 101"
    Body Armor: TnT 3.0 HyLine fenders, Guardian Sliders and corners. TnT Guardian Front Bumper. AEV Hood

Frame marked, ready to cut:

I like to use a grinder and cut off wheel for a precise cut:

TaDa:

Next up, we have to do some surgery on the back of the body:

Drill some spot welds:

Remove some more sheet metal:

And then test fit the new back half frame section:

Stay tuned, next up is the body armor package design and fitting to pull off a 8" rear stretch that still looks like a Jeep...

Got some more work done over the weekend...

Also got a little preliminary suspension work done, Currently at 103" WB with the 8" rear stretch I did. Working on coil over mounting for the rear - more on that later... Target wheel base is 105" doable with moving the front out some more...
    Last edited by Rock Yacht; 10-20-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Nice work. Good to see some TJ love in the house.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Very nice

Sent from the ether
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Nice! I miss my TJ!

Love it!

Vandy

Got some initial suspension setup done...

Extended length rear cross member for our long arm's MBPS (Modular Belly Pan System). This rear cross member is intended for the 2004-2006 Wrangler Unlimited aka LJ using TJ length control arms. We've been running this set up on a local test mule for 2 years with impressive results. No more smashing the loooooong lower arms of a traditional LJ longarm kit on ledges only to lift the rear tires and stop you in your tracks. Since we are approaching LJ rear wheelbase in this build and stretch figured I'd give it a go...

New triangulated upper mount to accept Summit Machine's Medium Billet flex joints. Basic dimensions: 2.375" mounting width, .563" (9/16") bolt and 1"-14 threaded shank...

Upper coil mount with optional FOX air bump. Standard issue will be a length of DOM tube to reuse the factory upper rubber bump stop assy.

Next up is shock mounting...

Bob

Love the frame chop. Was thinking about doing the same thing to my jk. Great build.
    Krawl Daddy Offroad

Quote Originally Posted by Mokos View Post
    Love the frame chop. Was thinking about doing the same thing to my jk. Great build.
    I start a 2 dr JK after the New Year...

Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
    37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
    Owner/Manager - SAH Marketing, JustJeepGear.com, RehabTherapyDirect.com and other Web Properties