Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011

P0300 Random Misfire

Just started today. Back from Jeepfest with creek crossings and various mud without Florida skinny pedal style. 172k with the last 5000 at random gas stations across the US. Plugs and wires around 100k.

Please advise. Going now to wash the engine, get new plugs an a bottle of heet.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    It was due for plugs so I went ahead and changed them along with plug wires. Still no difference.
    Last edited by gold knight; 09-12-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    It was die for plugs so I went ahead and changed them along with plug wires. Still no difference.

Might be worth swapping out the coil pack as well. They are cheap enough. Every time i get that code its because i have melted another plug wire but you already changed those.

Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    Can a bad O2 sensor(s) cause that code ?

Does the code have to be cleared before it will go away. Meaning, you fixed the problem, but the code is still showing ??
    Quote Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
    my wife shit in my face, bit my dick, and my neighbor came out of the closet..

2011 JK SPORT__________________________________________________ _________Kapt Krappy

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Not sure. It already had P0052 o2 sensor control circuit high bank 2 sensor 1

I replaced the sensor and the code cane back but there were no driveability issues until Monday or Tuesday when I saw the P0300.

Because the list of possible cause are so vast, in researching all over I've read different solutions worked for different people.

One replaced cracked manifold, one had a bad PCM and another had a clogged fuel filter. Thanks Chrysler for imbedding the filters in the pump module. :p

Guess I will check the drivers side exhaust manifold since cracking is so common and I've already had it happen once before.
    Last edited by gold knight; 09-12-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    Not sure. It already had P0052 o2 sensor control circuit high bank 2 sensor 1

I replaced the sensor and the code cane back but there were no driveability issues until Monday or Tuesday when I saw the P0300.

Because the list of possible cause are so vast, in researching all over I've read different solutions worked for different people.

One replaced cracked manifold, one had a bad PCM and another had a clogged fuel filter. Thanks Chrysler for imbedding the filters in the pump module. :p

Guess I will check the drivers side exhaust manifold since cracking is so common and I've already had it happen once before.

Have you checked for good spark from the coil?

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirty View Post
    Have you checked for good spark from the coil?
    Not yet. I'll do that next as well. Thanks

Can be a bad cat. I just saw it happen a few weeks ago.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Starting to wonder if that's the case...

I still have the P0052 along with the P0300, drove fine all weekend then acted up on the wife yesterday. The left exhaust manifold has a tiny crack I can see on the front side but it's really discolored from heat unlike I remember the old one.

Got these readings Sunday after about a 20 minute drive.

just a tad warm
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

What app is that you are running?

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Superchips vivid linq. It uses Bluetooth connection to the android to tune, monitor, read and clear trouble codes.

http://superchips.com/products/vivid...138750-138750/

There are some spec so dried coolant on the side of the block but like dirty told me, it could just be splatter from overflow at the reservoir. It did see some pretty off camber pavement at the mall a couple weeks ago.

Old spark plugs

Last edited by gold knight; 09-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    At this point I don't know what to do.

I have an appointment for Tuesday at the dealer. When it acts up you can feel the engine shudder and the CEL blinks, sometimes with a ding. Wife said it ran better yesterday but the CEL is still on. I checked with the key thing (on off on off on) the codes are gone (odometer displays -----------DONE). I'll check with the vivid tonight and clear the codes if they are still there and see what happens.

Don't know if you ever solved this but I thought I'd contribute...late.

I have the SC Linq as well. As you can see their not quite polished on their PID's and after talking with SC a couple times they have no ambition to fix them... fuckers. I could never get an answer as to what the PID for catalyst temp is trying to say. Whether the decimal should be one or two spots over, or their algorithm is just all fubard, it obviously can't be relied on (neither can trans temp, fwiw).

When I went through the same issues (no codes at first, rough shuddering idle at random, then consistently, then codes etc) my random misfire finally produced a specific cylinder misfire code. The wires were brittle and cracked apart in my hand. Plugs were changed on principal, coil was not.

That was last summer. I'm getting random rough idle at initial startup again... sigh.