Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

New 3.8 motor but now have check engine light

Well my last 3.8L blew oil all over the driveway and the dealer of course said it was out of warranty but I did talk them in to going halvies on it. So the cage is on hold for a bit. Now I have a constant check engine light on and the dealer says they cannot find anything and reset the light but within 50 miles it comes back on. We have replaced the gas cap and the evaporator but any other ideas.

I may just send this thing to Vegas for a new motor and tranny because i am tired of Chrysler, their dealers, and their products.

I know a LS swap would solve the problem but that's not planned until Jan.

Is the bitch safe to drive ( it drives fine) but it is aggravating and I have to get it inspected come June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Bryan

Date Committed
    May 2013
    Can they read a code when the light is on ?
    If they won't tell you what the code is ( if it is there) , I think Oriellys will read it for free.
    ( call & ask 1st ). You can buy a cheap reader for less than $100.00 or pm me if you think you would never use it again & for a cup if coffe, you can borrow mine.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Just do the key thing (on/off 3 times, then leave it on on without turning it over). Report back on the codes that come up and we'll figure it out.
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Will Try that this afternoon.

Rabram thanks for the offer. May take you up on that

Yea see if you can pull a code. That gives us something to work off. Cel going on and of with a Can Not Duplicate from the dealer makes me think a loose engine ground

I haven't done the test but I get the word gas cap that comes across. I jguess I need to change it then try again

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    If that doesn't work, it might be the evap switch. That's what it turned out to be on mine. Was throwing the gascap and a small evap leak code. That whole system sucks donkey nuts.

Yes it does. I am sick of adding oil, having check engine light on, and other gremlins with this.

Date Committed
    May 2013
    Any update ?

I'm bringing it by the stealer on Friday. Been out of town and have forgotten about it

Update
    I got the dealer to replace the evap and the gas tank. I'm it was the evap but they said the gas tank had to go too. Nice thing was it didn't cost me anything except a few shots of Tequila from all the back and forth we did

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Good news! I know these things can really be frustrating.

Mine threw a code for one of the 02 sensors. I replaced it because it was cheap and it idn't change a thing. About a month later the cel went away on it's own. Now after like five months boom there it is again.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Now I can go get it inspected. Frustrating thing was the dealer wanting to argue because I didn't have a Mopar lift that the lift I have caused all of this.

Oh well I retire in November and will start unmoparing the drivetrain. I think GM drivetrain will fit nicely

Date Committed
    May 2013
    May I ask who the dealer is ?

Pat Lobb in Frisco on 121

Date Committed
    May 2013
    K, thanks.
    I bought from Grapevine, fair on the sale.
    Haven't been back to anyone for anything but wanted to know who might be kinda flaky.
    Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rabram View Post
    K, thanks.
    I bought from Grapevine, fair on the sale.
    Haven't been back to anyone for anything but wanted to know who might be kinda flaky.
    Thanks
    Ron
    McKinney Dodge is really friendly to those of us who have modified our jeeps.
    As I was leaving Lobb Chrysler Jeep they told me they host a " Jeeps and Java" on the second Saturday every month. I wasn't really interested until he said Fuzzys caters the breakfast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Date Committed
    May 2013
    Thanks for the info.
    Can't be all bad if they offer free Fuzzy's food .