Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Hitch mounted winch

I'd like to mount a winch to the hitch. I'm only finding 3500lb hitches for my jku. I was told to get a winch with 2x my vehicle weight. That would be 8-10k lbs. Will it worm well being mounted on a hitch? The idea of moving the winch from front to read is highly appealing. I'm not finding any useful information online.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Yes 8k minimum. You will also need to buy a winch cradle to mount the winch to. That will allow you to transfer from hitch to hitch. You will also need quick disconnect connectors and or extra cable to run it to the back of the vehicle. It will get a bit costly.

Sent by 6ix Offroad
    Last edited by Yogurt; 01-25-2014 at 11:30 PM.

3500# is for ATV/UTV use
    8k minimum, I have a 12k on mine.
    Rear winch seems like a handy option, but honestly front mount has worked just fine for most people for a long time.
    can I get my meds in a Princess Leia Pez dispenser please?

I'm OK with cost because it is still cheaper than buying two winches. I was going to make and disconnect at the front and rear to plug the winch into.

I know rear mount isn't common but I've been out with friends when we've had to pull another friend out. If I'm trailing without another vehicle I may need to rely on myself.

I usually don't persuade people away from things. However I ran two winches for just over two years and I never used the rear once.
    Most people don't do the hitch mount for a reason. Unless you are pulling straight back the stock receiver will never be strong enough to survive a angled or side pull.
    Winches are heavy and when you are stuck the last thing you want to do is unload your jeep and man handle a winch out. You will soon realize that you will try everything else possible rather then digging that winch out. Also IMO I won't ride in a jeep with a winch mounted inside and I don't care how well its mounted. In a roll over or a highway accident that thing will come loose and now you have 150# anchor flopping around inside the cabin with you.
    I would highly recommend just front mounting a winch and be done. I have personally have used a front mounted winch to pull the jeep backwards not very far but enough to clear the problem. You just run it underneath the jeep and the axles will act as a guide. Is it preferred... No but it worked and we were on our way.

Sent by 6ix Offroad

I was thinking of an accident but things always happen. I was concerned with angle pulls and don't know how strong the receiver is at angles.

I won't tow a trailer with the stock receiver if that tells you anything. They are crap

Sent by 6ix Offroad

I just got my jku and am coming from a full size truck. I never considered weight while towing because I never came near my max capacity. I have to actually think things through when pulling with the jku. I'm probably going to get the tube steel frame mount hitch I found if I don't just get an offroad bumper with receiver built in.

But as far as your question. Just search winch cradle and you should be able to mount any winch to it. Just stay 8k or higher.

Sent by 6ix Offroad

That's what I'm looking at. Now considering narrow front bumper with hitch. The fear of angled winching is sinking in.

Good luck on your decision and no matter which way you go. Throw up some pics when done and share with the class.

Sent by 6ix Offroad

I plan on keeping pics up to date.