Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Date Committed
    Sep 2013

winch receiver front bumper

besides the look of having a square cutout in the bumper, any cons to using a receiver mounted winch that can be used in front or back of jeep?

Couple pros:
    dont have to carry winch everywhere or can keep inside jeep
    can use front and back
    could possible use on multiple vehicles if others have a receiver bumper

cons:
    looks a little stupid to me
    would have to have in cab of jeep (yes both pro and con)
    damn things are heave to lug around if needed
    37's and 2.5 lift

Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    I don't hate the idea.

I have thought about it myself. I'm only "off road" maybe once a month in an area that may require a winch recovery.

The majority of my wheeling is done on improved roads (dirt) or forest trails.

Why carry a winch around 24/7/12 on the front bumper if I might only need it a few times a year.

It would have to be a strong receiver mount, both for the bumper and for the winch platform to handle light to moderate pulls.

The front or back use is definitely a plus. I had a set up like this on my 6 wheel JD Gator. I used a 3000 lbs winch to pull stuff around once in a while.

Ok, I've convince myself, how about you ???

Quote Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
    my wife shit in my face, bit my dick, and my neighbor came out of the closet..

2011 JK SPORT__________________________________________________ _________Kapt Krappy

Date Committed
    Sep 2013
    Couple other things, non winch bumpers are a little cheaper sometimes?

I think I can get a local guy to add a recessed hitch to this one then just use a plug to cover hole. It's a little over $300 and it's really hard to find a bumper that doesn't stick out far from grill. I like the idea of cutting the rails and making it more "flush" with the front.

Date Committed
    Sep 2013
    Same bumper but they have the winch recessed in there

Don't forget about having to buy extra length of cable and connectors to be able too switch back and forth.
    As for me personally Murphy and his law (like everything in wheeling) is so unpredictable. You need a winch when you need a winch not when you want a winch. I'd much rather put a cheap winch on the front and have that winch whenever I need it. Storing a winch inside for transport especially while wheeling is dangerous if a accident should happen. Unless you bolt that thing to the floor I wouldn't want a heavy winch inside with me during a roll over or even a fender bender.

Sent by 6ix Offroad

Date Committed
    Sep 2013
    Good concern - Deff would have to bolt/strap down