Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Powered By power bottoms jkristie44's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Pensacola naval base checking out the mens in uniform

Smittybilt G.E.A.R Tail Gate Cover Done The Right Way.......Well My Way!

Ok. I got a 50 dollar gift certificate so I decided to give this thing a shot. 59 bucks, so I wasn't out of pocket a whole bunch. I read some stuff and heard for some of you guys that is was........well.........ok at best. When it arrived, I understood why. It's cool and I like the idea of it, but the screws are shit, and I can see how the elastic bands can sag over time. But fuck it, I am putting it on anyway with a little spin.

Start the day having to drive across town to Academy Sports to get my kid an air soft gun for xmas. What a fucking pain in the ass. Took me an hour and a half just to get through the fucking check out line, but look at this coolness. 430 foot per second, 300 round capacity, Greatness.

So after all that shit, it's time for a Beer and look over the distructions, and since Army Navy football game is on, got to support out troops!

WOw, that was a waste of time reading that shit. Too the trash with all of ya! Throw the screws in the trash too except for 1 for the next picture. Those screws suck.

Here is what I will be using to secure this disaster to my tail gate. 6 1.0 25 mm hex bolts. See the difference in what come with this thing!

Time to get the tools needed. Duct Tape (of course),Drill, Bit, Tap, Marker, My New Bolts, and Rubber Washers! Couple of reasons I am using these bolts. First, those screws suck ass. Second, I have my CB cable running through the tail gate and just in case I need access to it, I prefer to do it right. Third, If I am drilling holes in my shit, I want to use some type of rubber washer to keep all the salty air and shit off fresh metal. Florida blows for rust. I also used the same tye of bolt to install my sPOD. I used 8 1.25's I think. A little bigger. WHen I got my sPOD, it did not have the hardware to secure it so I improvised and decided I really like these bolts.

Next, duct tape that bitch on and mark your holes with a sharpie!

Then drill your fucking holes. Be fucking careful too!

See this is simple shit Smittybilt could have done, but no, why would they do that!

The tap the shit out of you holes.

Ok, now that all the highly technical shit is over, time for a brewsky! It's Saturday and I am thirsty.

Speaking of, I am getting thirsty typing this.......Back in a few.
    Last edited by jkristie44; 12-10-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Powered By power bottoms jkristie44's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Pensacola naval base checking out the mens in uniform
    Now that I am hydrated, I will continue......................

Now that you got a little break drinking a beer, it's time to get focused. So what I am going to do is, put a rubber washer on the backside and the front side of the fucking thing. WHatever it's called.

SO when you screw it in, it looks something like this.

Use you alan wrench that I forgot to mention you needed in the begining to tighten all the fuckers down.

Not really sure I remember why I took this picture, but I bet I had a good reason when I was soberish.

Then put the two bags on, which by the way, was the biggest pain in the ass of this who project. Well, outside of forgetting to pull the the allan wrech thing out before starting. Wasted like a 1/2 hour trying to find it.

Once finished, realize that the bigger bag on the left hits the factory subwoofer and undo all those snaps again and reposition it. In sumation. It's cool idea, could be better made, and if I speeled alot of words wrong, tough shit. I am half cocked right now.

I should remount mine with those nice bolts and washers, good job!
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Looks good man

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    You have 2 bags? Rod's wife is gonna be confused.
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Looks like a good idea. Molle stuff needs to be 1000D Cordura for durability and colorfastness... Is the elastic you're talking about the horizontal bands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If I were to be around you and you smelled like cake then I probably would retract my statement about disliking you.
    الساق مع الديك