Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011

Hiking North Georgia

Hey any of you locals into hiking? Sam and I are going to be trying to get out every weekend, usually on Sunday afternoons.

Going to check with the boss but I think this is where we will be going this weekend http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/Panther_Creek_Trail

Past trip pics to follow.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    One of our favorites from a couple years ago

thats one of our go to camping spots
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    The pictures don't quite do it justice. The trail follows along the creek most if the way in. There are tons of little cascades and waterfalls along the way.

That five mile round trip kicked my ass the first time. We're trying to get me in shape lol.

All Federally Owned Recreation Sites are Closed

Area(s): Beasley Knob OHV Trails, Boggs Creek Recreation Area, Brasstown Bald Visitor Information Center, Cooper Creek Recreation Area, Davenport Mountain OHV Trails, DeSoto Falls Recreation Area, Dockery Lake Recreation Area, Frank Gross Recreation Area, Lake Chatuge Recreation Area, Lake Winfield Scott Campground, Lakewood Landing Boat Launch, Morganton Point Campground, Mulky Campground, Toccoa River Sandy Bottoms Recreation Area, Whissenhunt OHV Trails, Andrews Cove Campground, Anna Ruby Falls Recreation Area, Dukes Creek Falls Recreation Area, Frady Branch Equestrian and Bike Trail System, Lake Rabun Beach Recreation Area, Lake Russell Recreation Area, Locust Stake OHV Trail System - CLOSED, Low Gap Campground, Mount Yonah Trail Head, Nancytown, Nancytown Day Use Area, Nancytown Group Campground, Oakey Mountain OHV Trails and Campground, Panther Creek Recreation Area, Pear Tree Hill Group Camp, Raven Cliffs Trailhead, Sandy Bottoms Campground, Sarah's Creek Campground, Tallulah River Campground, Tate Branch Campground, Upper Chattahoochee River Campground, Warwoman Dell Recreation Area, West Fork Campground, Wildcat Creek Campground #1 Lower, Wildcat Creek Campground #2 Upper, Willis Knob Horse Campground, Bear Creek Trail, Chestnut Mountain Shooting Range, Cottonwood Patch Campground, Dry Creek Equestrian Trailhead, Hickey Gap Campground, Houston Valley OHV Trails, Jacks River Fields Campground, Keown Falls Picnic Area and Trailhead, Lake Conasauga, Lake Conasauga Overflow Campground, Lake Conasauga Picnic and Swim Site, Sumac Creek Shooting Range, The Pocket Recreation Area, The Pocket Recreation Area Family Picnic Area, The Pocket Recreation Area Group Picnic Shelter, Cedar Creek Shooting Range, Dyar Pasture Recreation Area, Lake Sinclair Recreation Area, Miller Creek Lake Recreation Area, Ocmulgee Bluff Horse Bike and Hike Trail System, Oconee River Campground, Redlands Recreation Area, Swords Recreation Area, Town Creek OHV Trails

Date(s): Oct 1, 2013

Due to the lapse in agency funding, all federally owned recreation sites are closed, and all reservations are suspended. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
    my wife shit in my face, bit my dick, and my neighbor came out of the closet..

2011 JK SPORT__________________________________________________ _________Kapt Krappy

Date Committed
    May 2012
    Are you talking about getting out of the Jeep and walking when it ain't broke?
    "Community Organizer lost in the wastelands of the former United States."

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tangomike3 View Post
    Are you talking about getting out of the Jeep and walking when it ain't broke?
    Hahaha. Yessir. I'm beginning to realize that is apparently a crazy idea to my circle of Jeeple. Akin to jumping out of a perfectly good airplane some might say.

Date Committed
    May 2012
    If I had spent 50K on a pair of hiking shoes I might try it. But I wish you all the best. Be safe. Make sure you can run faster than Sam in case of bear.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
    All Federally Owned Recreation Sites are Closed

Area(s): Beasley Knob OHV Trails, Boggs Creek Recreation Area, Brasstown Bald Visitor Information Center, Cooper Creek Recreation Area, Davenport Mountain OHV Trails, DeSoto Falls Recreation Area, Dockery Lake Recreation Area, Frank Gross Recreation Area, Lake Chatuge Recreation Area, Lake Winfield Scott Campground, Lakewood Landing Boat Launch, Morganton Point Campground, Mulky Campground, Toccoa River Sandy Bottoms Recreation Area, Whissenhunt OHV Trails, Andrews Cove Campground, Anna Ruby Falls Recreation Area, Dukes Creek Falls Recreation Area, Frady Branch Equestrian and Bike Trail System, Lake Rabun Beach Recreation Area, Lake Russell Recreation Area, Locust Stake OHV Trail System - CLOSED, Low Gap Campground, Mount Yonah Trail Head, Nancytown, Nancytown Day Use Area, Nancytown Group Campground, Oakey Mountain OHV Trails and Campground, Panther Creek Recreation Area, Pear Tree Hill Group Camp, Raven Cliffs Trailhead, Sandy Bottoms Campground, Sarah's Creek Campground, Tallulah River Campground, Tate Branch Campground, Upper Chattahoochee River Campground, Warwoman Dell Recreation Area, West Fork Campground, Wildcat Creek Campground #1 Lower, Wildcat Creek Campground #2 Upper, Willis Knob Horse Campground, Bear Creek Trail, Chestnut Mountain Shooting Range, Cottonwood Patch Campground, Dry Creek Equestrian Trailhead, Hickey Gap Campground, Houston Valley OHV Trails, Jacks River Fields Campground, Keown Falls Picnic Area and Trailhead, Lake Conasauga, Lake Conasauga Overflow Campground, Lake Conasauga Picnic and Swim Site, Sumac Creek Shooting Range, The Pocket Recreation Area, The Pocket Recreation Area Family Picnic Area, The Pocket Recreation Area Group Picnic Shelter, Cedar Creek Shooting Range, Dyar Pasture Recreation Area, Lake Sinclair Recreation Area, Miller Creek Lake Recreation Area, Ocmulgee Bluff Horse Bike and Hike Trail System, Oconee River Campground, Redlands Recreation Area, Swords Recreation Area, Town Creek OHV Trails

Date(s): Oct 1, 2013

Due to the lapse in agency funding, all federally owned recreation sites are closed, and all reservations are suspended. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.
    I'm heading to the Uwharrie OHV trails for some wheeling and camping tomorrow. There's a festival going on, so I don't know if that means anything, but only the campsites are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    Hahaha. Yessir. I'm beginning to realize that is apparently a crazy idea to my circle of Jeeple. Akin to jumping out of a perfectly good airplane some might say.
    Good on you, Larry. I'm fine with both of the things you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If I were to be around you and you smelled like cake then I probably would retract my statement about disliking you.
    الساق مع الديك

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Larry we hike all the time. There are several books out there that have all the Georgia hiking areas and directions and trail descriptions

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Great pictures young man.
    Hey Dickhead, get out of the fast lane! Unless you're passing of course.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Cool pics Larry!
    TC
    Crawling For Reid May 13 - 15, 2016 Adventure OffRoad Park
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670437756568674/

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    We ended up hiking this one Sunday. Seven mile round trip.

.GOV shut down, parking lot closed... no problem, we'll all just park on the sides of the road :D

Last edited by gold knight; 10-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011

Some random people in the water for scale

Last edited by gold knight; 10-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Awesome scenery. No pics of critters though, I guess they were all furloughed
    Bryan

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GREYBEARDSJK View Post
    Awesome scenery. No pics of critters though, I guess they were all furloughed
    Lol. First picture in post 15. I think it was a salamander.

Very cool! I've been wanting to hike more when I'm at home up in Washington. I'm sure there's plenty of places around So-Cal but the scenery just isn't the same.

I bet the wife will probably want one of those fancy back pack things for the baby. Probably one of those fancy off road strollers too.

Meh, on second thought, I'm out, yall have a good time! Keep posting pics.
    2004 TJ

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0aba888.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dr. Dirty just won the Internet singehanded.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    http://www.sawneemountain.org/

This is like 15 minutes from the house. 3 1/2 miles around the Indian Seats trail. We went the last two Sunday afternoons. With an elevation change of 1200 in the parking lot to 1680 at the top, this sucker is pretty strenuous. It's taking us 2+ hours but watching people running the trail has been very inspiring. Gonna keep going til we whip this thing.

Wife and nephew start up one of many steep grades

Nephew taking in the view

You can see clear to the blue ridge mountains from the Indian Seats