Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Super high rev

Date Committed
    Dec 2011

Super high rev

I just tried starting up the Jeep after replacing plugs, exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust. It started just fine but revved to 3K and climbing before I shut it down. Checked the throttle body and all vac lines and they seemed good.

What am I missing?

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Think I figured it out. And it SUCKS!!!!!! Looks like I didn't get the intake seated properly. So, looks like I'll be taking it off and putting it back on this weekend.

At least that's the best case scenario. My buddy, who was helping me with it, called his dad who used to be a Chrysler mechanic. He said there's an off chance after 14 years of being on the motor the intake could warp after being removed.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    This fucking thing. Tore it back down, put on a new gasket (turns out there's a difference between the '98 and the '99 and mine is an early '99 with a '98 block), got it buttoned back up and....shit. Same damn thing.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    hmm...yeah, I got nothin. I read somewhere about cleaning out the IAC?
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I'm leaning toward warped intake but not counting out shitty work on my end.

I've got a very small gap on the bottom front edge of the number 5 plenum. At least it looks like a gap but I can't fit anything in it. The rest of the plenums are fitting fine.

Last time we had a bitch of a time getting the PS pump to go back on and come to find out we didn't have the bottom bolts snug enough.

I'm at a loss.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    You can also spray carb cleaner around the mating surfaces and it should suck into any leak and stumble.

Also it's been a long time since I had an MJ with a 4.0. Is there a spring that holds the throttle butterfly shut? Any chance the throttle isn't closing completely?
    Last edited by gold knight; 08-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I got it figured out and it runs great now. I'm editing a video walk through of the install and I'll be posting it up.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordgie View Post
    I got it figured out and it runs great now. I'm editing a video walk through of the install and I'll be posting it up.
    And the problem was????? First it's Craig with a no-pictures build thread and now this. I'm beginning to think it's a Florida thing

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Short answer, gap at the intake. I thought it was lined up because it felt that way but by the intake sitting on the dowels instead of seated properly, it caused about a 16th inch gap all along the bottom edges.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Well that makes sense it was hiding on you. Glad it worked out and looking forward to the video.