Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Engine Coolant flush questions

Alright guys I need some input here! So I went to the Zone to grab some coolant for a little top off. They told me that you can't get the mopar coolant unless you go to the stealership and pay for a flush. They also said that I shouldn't use any other kind of coolant as they're not universal. I hate the dealership... What choices do I have and what have you guys done? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    You gotta lick it before you stick it!! :arse:

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Drain it.

Prestone.

Boom. Done.
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Beer.

Drain it.

Beer.

Prestone.

Beer.

Boom. Done.
    FIFY.

What he said. I use Prestone Gold and a bottle of Royal Purple Coolant Additive.
    the coolants these days work on all cars.
    The Gold is a little more expensive, but the additives in it are not add corrosive than the red coolant.

Beer

Drain it.

Beer

Prestone.

Beer

Boom. Done.

More Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    FIFY.

What he said. I use Prestone Gold and a bottle of Royal Purple Coolant Additive.
    The Gold is a little more expensive, but the additives in it are not add corrosive than the red coolant.
    FIFYB lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    FIFY.

So what's with all this HOAT crap?

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Why would you have to get a flush to buy coolant? I keep Mopar coolant on hand at all times. All you have to do is walk up to the parts counter at the dealer and say give me some coolant. Then go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of distilled water and mix it 50/50.

As for the recommendations above, all good except with the lifetime pt warranty I'm sticking to the OE coolant. The Zerex G05 comes up a lot in searches, it is and HOAT whatever that's worth.

Just make sure whatever you get is good for aluminum. I've seen people switch to the green coolant but I wouldn't personally run it. Pretty sure it's additives are geared toward brass radiator/heater cores for older cars.
    Last edited by gold knight; 07-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    Why would you have to get a flush to buy coolant? I keep Mopar coolant on hand at all times. All you have to do is walk up to the parts counter at the dealer and say give me some coolant. Then go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of distilled water and mix it 50/50.

As for the recommendations above, all good except with the lifetime pt warranty I'm sticking to the OE coolant. The Zerex G05 comes up a lot in searches, it is and HOAT whatever that's worth.

Just make sure whatever you get is good for aluminum. I've seen people switch to the green coolant but I wouldn't personally run it. Pretty sure it's additives are geared toward brass radiator/heater cores for older cars.
    Excellent thanks I was wondering why one would have to get a flush there although it wouldn't surprise me that much! Lol I'm going to go get some today!!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    BTW.....the rep told you that you have to get a flush because every month or so when the MOC rep comes by, he brings a nice wad of cash to spiff them for every flush they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Uroultraboy View Post
    So what's with all this HOAT crap?

Hybrid OAT antifreezes are a hybrid (G05)(the same standards as OEM) compatible with all types and colors of antifreeze.
    They do different colors to make it easier for people to recognize it. (ex., "Green coolant, "I'll put green back in" Gold coolant, "i'll put gold back in")
    It's all the same except for the color. Kind of like Garanimals. You can match what you have by color if you cant figure it out.
    Last edited by The Joker; 07-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.