Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcome to your Jeep and The Jeep Asylum

Hello Fellow Jeep Asylum Inmates!

When one buys a Jeep, it is so much more than just a transportation decision. We knowingly give up comforts like handling and fuel economy to embrace the lifestyle that the Wrangler offers. There is a lot more to your new Jeep besides taking off the top and the doors, and we know that many of you will have a ton of questions. You have chosen the best Jeep forum on the web, so coupled with buying a Jeep, that makes you a two time winner. Keep it up!

The Beginner's Ward is intended to be a safe place for anyone to ask any questions that they have about their Jeep. There is seriously no such thing as a stupid question in this part of The Asylum. Here you will find things like Jeep history, references and demonstrations of simple tasks like removing your hardtop and doors correctly. We will strive to make your transition into Jeep ownership an enjoyable one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If I were to be around you and you smelled like cake then I probably would retract my statement about disliking you.
    الساق مع الديك

Building a safe haven, not a bad idea! I'm game to help out with what may seem to be tedious questions to others.

2004 TJ

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0aba888.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dr. Dirty just won the Internet singehanded.

Likewise

Sent from the ether
    Hands up, Don't shoot!

So what size tires should I run on my jeep?
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by GREYBEARDSJK View Post
    So what size tires should I run on my jeep?
    Excellent question! Many times, people are happiest with the biggest tire size that their vehicle can fit without adversely affecting performance. I'm assuming that you have a Wrangler made after 2007, known amongst the forums as the Jeep JK. The Jeep JK is able to fit 35" tires with very little modification, or 33" tires with no modification at all. Most recommend a 17" wheel, but it is not uncommon to see 15", or even 16.5" (the 16.5" is popular because that's the wheel size for surplus Military 37" tires.) I suggest looking around The Asylum and ask specific questions here in the Beginner's Ward. We also has several top-notch vendors here on the forum that can help you get those parts that you eventually decide on.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    My ex wife used to always say to take whatever size you think you want and go one size bigger.....just like boobs.

Mainly because, just like boobs, when you get home and look at them a week later, they are going to look smaller than you originally thought.
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Mainly because, just like the penis, when you get home and look at them a week later, they are going to look smaller than you originally thought.
    FIFY

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Being completely serious for the newer folks, the boob job analogy is pretty spot on.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Great thread JW. I'll probably be asking most of the questions.
    Hey Dickhead, get out of the fast lane! Unless you're passing of course.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I don't have my jeep any more, but I still wave at them and get sparse response. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Being completely serious for the newer folks, the boob job analogy is pretty spot on.
    Agreed.

Under Observation
    Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    ok so im trying to figure out whats the best tuner to get for my 2011 jku I see that asylum tv has a sc traildash video but not much on hp gains,if any or torque gains if any and I want to spend my cayush wisely wich may mean not even getting a tuner.just need some sound advice/info.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Least expensive option would be the AEV Pro Cal. It runs about a buck fifty plus tax, shipping. You might gain a little hp, but it helps more in adjusting shift points and gaining back some mpg when you lift your jeep and put bigger tires on.

Superchips claims to gain 21hp, but each person's outcome will be different. Look up the ones you are interested in and see what their test results show.

For straight hp gains, look into cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust. The JK models are heavy on the weight and light on the horsepower, so any significant changes are only going to come from installing a supercharger or swapping the engine.

Asshole At Large Bat Shit Crazy Karnuvore's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I wound up with a traildash for free. Jake @ Jester Offroad got a call from Superchips, asking him if he knew a heavily modified JK they could borrow for a week as a demo Jeep for their booth at Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach. Of course I volunteered.

I had been driving my 2007 JKU on 37" tires for 5 years at the time. I was happy with the Jeep, but always wished I had things like the proper shift points and an accurate mpg/speedometer. When I got the traildash, I was amazed at how simple it was to enter in things like gear ratios, tire size, etc. It then did the calculations and suddenly my Jeep rode wonderfully! It had tunings for all octanes of gas as well.

All that said, I was so pleased with having my Jeep dialed in, that I forgot all about any performance gains. I was sitting at a light 2 days later and took off like I always did. I went "woah!" as it sped off a lil faster than usual. I had completely forgotten about the tuner and the performance gains. I say that because, having spent years on forums seeing testimonials on programmers and CAI's, I have heard the term "placebo effect" over and over. People buy something and are looking for performance gains so hard that they convince themselves they have them. But, as I said, I had forgotten all about the tuner at that moment. The performance difference was noticable!

All that said, I loved the fact that I could take the traildash with me; removing it when I was in a sketchy area and away from my Jeep. Even though I got it for free - I told people afterwards that, having owned one, I would definitely buy it. Totally worth the money.

That's my two cents.
    These pipes.....are CLEAAAN!!!

The bad news is you have a 2011, just like I do. In 2011 Jeep encrypted their computers so the existing programmers on the market would not work. If you shop around all the tuners out there make certain they're compatible with 2011's, most will say 2007 - 2010.

**Edit**
    It looks like there may be one available tuner for 2011 + years. I'm not familiar with it as I have an older style from the same company, (had to swap out my stock computer for an older JK model, it's a long story..) but here's a great place to start. I've worked with this guy in the past and he was very helpful. I'd recommend giving him a call. Do us a favor and tell him Jeep Asylum sent you.

http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/16...sler-Jeep.aspx

Under Observation
    Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    wow so much good info thanks ill give them a call at rpm aswell and yes cai and exhaust are coming very soon to my weak 3.8.thanks for all the help yall

This is from the Superchips Facebook page. Looks like they finally cracked the code.

"Hey guys, we have some exciting news for you. Superchips will have 2011 JK tuning by the end of July for the 3870 Flashpaq. Here are the details on what will be included in the product:

6 tuning levels
    Up to +18HP and +24TQ gain (The most HP/TQ from any tuner on the market)
    User options:
    Speedometer corrections for upgraded tires and gears
    Improved shift points and firmness (Auto Trans models)
    Adjustments for Speedometer, electric fans, Idle up and TPMS.
    Advanced trans tuning (Auto trans models)
    ESP stability optimization
    One touch lane change
    Daytime running light options
    Radio Delay
    Headlamp Delay
    Keyless entry options
    DTC code reading and clearing
    Internet updatable

We have made huge leaps in tuning the 2012 JK’s and expect to have tuning available for the 2012 JK by the end of Summer 2013.” We know you have all been waiting, but we want to make sure this tuning is done right. We want to create an incredible driving experience unlike the other so-called 2011 JK tuners current available. Those of you who have a Flashcal for your 2011 will be able to download the tuning online for a nominal fee. Stay tuned!"

I got one of the first Flashpaqs for the JK way back in 2009. I love it, but I just don't have the cash to upgrade to the Traildash.

Under Observation
    Date Committed
    Jul 2013
    hmm I think for now im just gona go with CAI and exhaust n see what comes of the hole tuner thing I got some trips soon n just wana get some good mpg and have some good hp n torque when I start showing my butt in the mud n rocks lol. and sheeesh VIKING soon my jk will look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKRUBI27 View Post
    hmm I think for now im just gona go with CAI and exhaust n see what comes of the hole tuner thing I got some trips soon n just wana get some good mpg and have some good hp n torque when I start showing my butt in the mud n rocks lol. and sheeesh VIKING soon my jk will look that good.
    Thanks bud I still haven't done an intake or exhaust for the JK, lol. Might get the exhaust done soon, but it won't be anything special, just wanna get rid of that bulky ass looking muffler back there. Might be a good idea to wait a while on the tuners, seems like the companies are coming around and getting it figured out. There will probably be plenty of options in the near future for you to research!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
    Excellent question! Many times, people are happiest with the biggest tire size that their vehicle can fit without adversely affecting performance. I'm assuming that you have a Wrangler made after 2007, known amongst the forums as the Jeep JK. The Jeep JK is able to fit 35" tires with very little modification, or 33" tires with no modification at all. Most recommend a 17" wheel, but it is not uncommon to see 15", or even 16.5" (the 16.5" is popular because that's the wheel size for surplus Military 37" tires.) I suggest looking around The Asylum and ask specific questions here in the Beginner's Ward. We also has several top-notch vendors here on the forum that can help you get those parts that you eventually decide on.
    So these 37s are ok then with my 3.5" frankenlift

Quote Originally Posted by GREYBEARDSJK View Post
    So these 37s are ok then with my 3.5" frankenlift

As long as the Frankenlift components play nicely with each other, there should be no problems. 3.5"s is plenty to run 37s, just ensure that your bumpstops are properly adjusted to prevent your tires from contacting your fenders during suspension compression/uptravel.