Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Front tires wearing weird

what would cause every other lug on my front tires to be worn more than the rest, its just on the inside. 35" km2's. 2" lift, poly ball joints and drag link, ruff stuff tie rod, reid knuckles. i had it alinged when i put the front axle in and they said it was within specs. should i have it checked again? i bought the axle used it already has knuckle gussets, inner sleeves and a small truss.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Interested in this too.

I have one tire on mine(37" MTR) that has that same sympton. When I was getting new tires on my truck about a month ago I asked the Discount Tire guy about it and he said "alignment". I don't buy that but I guess it could be right. Thing is, it was only on one tire up front. I told him I thought it was a balance issue and he said no. I had the wheels balanced and them rotated them anyway, the tire is not on the back, we'll see how it does.
    TC
    Crawling For Reid May 13 - 15, 2016 Adventure OffRoad Park
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670437756568674/

Powered By power bottoms jkristie44's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Pensacola naval base checking out the mens in uniform
    My mom has the same issue on her stock rubi with the original KM's from Jeep. I noticed it the other day. She has a ton of miles on them and needs new ones anyway, I just though it was weird.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    How many miles since you rotated them? (mom's especially James). Sounds like normal tire cupping from having a straight axle. It shows up a lot worse on MT tires but it can do some funky things to street tires as well.

I had never had a straight axle vehicle before other than my old truck that gets minimal use. I've seen the issue come up repeatedly on the forums. My original Goodyear SRa's said 6000 rotation from the factory literature but I found 3000 was about as far as I could push it. Most people warn 3000-5000 max between rotations or you will start to get cupping. When you rotate them it usually evens out if it's not too bad already.

With the KM2's we have now I had several work trips back to back and lost track... went almost 10,000 miles :eek: The lugs on the front right not only wore that way but the tire developed a loud womp. So far it's been on the left rear and now on the front left with still a little womp at slow speeds. I'm looking forward to it resting on the tire carrier for a few k :rolleyes:

EDIT> oh you said the inside of the tire. Mine was almost always on outside or both sides. And you guys are all veterans of Jeeps and forums so you probably know all that anyway. Forgot where I was for a minute lol.
    Last edited by gold knight; 06-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Sounds like feathering. Must likey your toe is off and usually its to much toe in.
    Vehicles with straight front axles like ours tend to have a higher problem. Most alighnment shops will only set it at factory specs because thats all they know and thats what the computer tells them to do.
    This obviously does not work with lifted and or vehicles with larger tires. If you cant do.it yourself then find a shop that specializes in doing offroad vehicles NOT americas tire.

Sent by 6ix Offroad