Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Date Committed
    Dec 2011

JKR axles into my LJ

I scored a set of stock JKUR axles to put under my LJ. (thx Beermonkey)

I'm looking for info from anyone who has done this swap.

I'm going to keep (for now) my current skycrapper 6" long arm. I know that the brackets will have to be cut off and replaced
    with new ones. I'm more concerned about the track bar and steering. I also want to know about the the rear brake lines. LJ/TJ
    uses a hard line across the rear axle to feed both calipers. Not the same on a JK. E brake cables/setup are another area of concern.

I looked at multiple threads on JF, but those guys are using custom steering and suspension so not much help there.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Craig you looking for help IN Florida?

Want I should move this to tech? :p
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    The steering is to easy. Do a ruffstuff tierod kit and make you a draglink.

For the rear you can do a few diff things. But running the JK calipers just like your LJ is set up is fine. take the distro block off your LJ and swap it over and run you some new hard line along the tubes and be done.

Powered By power bottoms jkristie44's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Pensacola naval base checking out the mens in uniform
    Hey, at least you won't have to run spacers on those sweet ass WE Beadlocks. You really ripped off that asshat who sold them to you.

Im doing a jk axle swap into a TJ coming up soon. What Dirty has said is correct. As far as e brake, im gonna use jk cables. Not sure about the LJ but the TJ im doing has drum brakes which is why we need JK cables. The TJ brackets im using are Gen Rights.

Sent by 6ix Offroad

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Larry, If you think it will get more hits there that's fine. Ya know I have no mod powers on this board! lol I didn't know you did or I would have asked you to change my screen name instead of that guy Jake. JK Jake!

Dr Dirty, I'll look into the rough stuff tierod kit. I thought of doing that with the block and new line, but didn't know if it was maybe easier to run the hardline along the frame x member or something. (less bending maybe?)

James, you're not an asshat, you're a sphincter sniper! lol JK. You gave me a helluva deal, but you got one also. I'll sellem back to you real cheap

Yogurt, I'll check out the brackets and see if I can use them or if I will need JK cables.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Thx Larry. You're the bestest! At least James says so! lol
    04 Unlimited
    12 JKUS

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Its hard to see in this picture but this is a YJ i just did a 4 link on. Hes using crown lines i believe and you wouldn't need to do all the hard line bending.

For rear brackets Artec makes a nice tj swap for the 8.8 Im sure it would work for a dana 44 with a tad bit of creativity

http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ-88...uss_p_233.html

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I emailed Artec about a 44 kit. They said they don't make one currently. I could alter that 8.8 kit though.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    ? for you Dirty.

I measured the upper ca mounts on the JK 44 and my LJ 30. The diff in distance between them is around 1/2". Do you think I could leave the upper mount where they are at or would it cause issues with my suspension?

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    You might be able to get away with it. Put it together and cycle the axle and check for binding.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    So I finally got around to getting the rear under my heep. It's under and working good. Wired up the locker and that works fine also. Im stoked and I need to get to work on the front. Steering and track bar scare me the most. I took some measurements of the wife's JK steering and track bar and it looks like I may be able to use the factory JK steering on mine. I won't really know until I get the axle under my heep for test fitting. I have all the factory brackets trimmed off and the new lowers tacked in place. I just need to slave it under the jeep and see where to put the spring and shock mounts and see how the steering looks.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Come on, man! You can't tease us with a sweet LJ build and not post pictures!
    Get the hottest crime novel out now! http://amzn.to/Zovqkj or http://bit.ly/18N0Juv

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    TNT truss and brackets

Truss tacked on

Spring pads and lowers tacked on

Photobomb

Swapping old for newer

Test run

Date Committed
    Dec 2011

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I think I have enough room to outboard the rear shocks without notching the frame out. I really need to replace those rear shocks anyway. On the test trail run, they got hot as the hinges on the gates of hell while the front piggy back bilsteins were cool as a cucumber. I also need to mount the rear sway bar and get some JK E-brake cables. I need the axle brackets to mount the sway bar. I can't seem to find any.

looking good. hindsite i should have kept those axles, after dumping more$$$$ into the ones i got used i should have just upgraded those and paid the jeep off. oh well.