Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011

Turning giant tits into a home! - building Snakehaven Ranch

This thread is awesome. Great work Larry.

That is an awesome project Larry, and a crazy back story. Like the others said, sorry 2011 was rough on you. I was thinking you could use those radius walls as closet space and kinda maximize it as well as square up the room a little bit. I'm with Sin on the water collection system. You could even hook it up to a filtration system and use it for showers and toilet water. I also think you should have covered up the walkway between the tits with a giant bookshelf so every time you went to the shop, you'd feel like batman using a secret passageway. You might wanna get some hangers on those floor joists too!
    "I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals"

Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    VIVA LA DICKY

Joists are sitting on the top plate everywhere possible
    Gonna build in some secret storage
    Like hidden gunsafe/ammo vault. Lower storage cabinets recessed into the walls n stuff
    can I get my meds in a Princess Leia Pez dispenser please?

There's a jeep in my kitchen.

Chris came back out n helped again today.
    Got most of the octagon decked

Figured out a cheap n cool way to do the railing. Landscape timbers.
    Split flat ways to make railing, sideways to make banisters. Plus used as trim and and bracing. Kind of a rustic Texas look.

Coming along great, like how you are reusing a lot of timber already there

Bryan
    Bryan

Spent the afternoon at the hospital with mom then made a couple of runs to lowes but thanks to Chris hanging out n helping we still managed to get some stuff done.
    Finished the railing on one side and started the banisters for the stairs.

Railing detail

Overall shot.
    For scale, that rail is ~18' and the octagon landing at the top of the stairs is 10' across.

That there is one house I won't sleep in.... Solid concrete,no windows, one door.... My claustrophobia(sp?) would be kickin in big time.

its alot bigger than the pictures make it out too be, the middle rail is exactly 16ft long and thats less than half the width of the dome.

and theres 2 doors that go outside lol plus the door to the otherside of the domes.
    Last edited by cjb321; 09-24-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Heh, I would sleep for a month in someplace that solid. Nice and dark.

~SoCo

Each dome has a 12'x12' entry hall with double 3' wide entry doors. Plus a 12' wide metal roll up overhead door directly across from the entry hall
    And a 25' wide hallway connecting the 2. If you look at the google earth pic at the beginning you'll get the idea.

The overhead door on this side is getting windows and a passage door framed into the opening.
    I have it figured so I can do that but still have the metal door in place and functional for security if need be.
    Plus there will be a few digital windows.
    So it wont feel too much like a bunker when it's done.

Powered By power bottoms jkristie44's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Pensacola naval base checking out the mens in uniform
    When I built a deck and a fence, I was shocked at how the cost of screws and nails add up so quickly. I can only imagine your tab at the local hardware joint. Hell, I had to go buy 2 inch brad nails the other day..............22 dollars later...........

No shit!
    $27 for a box of 3" drywall screws.
    $27 for a sheet of plywood
    $19 for a single 2x12
    That's why I was so glad to figure out the landscape timber trick for railing!
    Cuz we need a LOT of railing. Across the front of the bedrooms in the loft and down the stairs.
    $3.47 for an 8' timber.
    Split flat ways makes 16' of handrail or cut in half and split width ways makes 4 banisters/rail pickets 4' long. Attached flush with the bottom of the 8" floor joist beam plus the decking and stuff makes a rail that comes out about 3.5' tall. Pretty much perfect. Plus it looks good and is strong as hell.
    I figured out that 'rustic' just means warped wood, so that works out too :)

Lookin across the middle of the dome where the loft starts, there's an 18' wide (at the beam) rail/loft, then the 10' octagon in the center of the floor then another 18' wide rail/loft area.

The donut around the octagon downstairs will have living room, kitchen, eating area, office, and misc bookshelves n stuff around the walls.
    The connector corridor itself is 625sf.
    It has 1 and 1/2 baths in it plus laundry room, storage room mechanical room etc in it.

Didn't get much done yesterday.
    Got out there and found my powder fired nail gun so I at least got everything firmly nailed to the concrete.
    Then I got a txt that just said "help?" with this picture attached.

So I got the jeep and winched a Kia out of chocolate pudding.
    It's actually been raining for 3 days straight! Pretty sure we've had more rain in the last 3 days than the last 9 or 10 months combined!

Got back to work and found a problem with my splitting landscape timbers idea: it's hell on table saws. My 10" skil went up in flames last night. Burnt armature and brushes.
    Heading to harbor freight in a bit to buy another WITH the warranty ;)

Asshole At Large Bat Shit Crazy Karnuvore's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Let me come over with about 1000 gallons of day glow paint and we could turn the ceiling into drugs.
    These pipes.....are CLEAAAN!!!

I was thinking it'd be awesome to do a dark blue almost black fade to bright sky blue from the back bedroom area to the front.
    But that ain't happening.
    Just toooo damn big.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    PM me I'll meet you there, I'll bring pig and beverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnuvore View Post
    Let me come over with about 1000 gallons of day glow paint and we could turn the ceiling into drugs.
    In your area you could just sit outside. One of the things I miss about NM was the sunrises and sunsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I was thinking it'd be awesome to do a dark blue almost black fade to bright sky blue from the back bedroom area to the front.
    But that ain't happening.
    Just toooo damn big.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the next best time is now.
    Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    You need one of those planentarium style lazer light show projectors. We could have a massive music festival at your house. Make tons of cash.

That's what they did in the other dome when it was a theme park, one side was laser light show.
    Still has mirrors hanging.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I'm a GENIUS.