Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Turning giant tits into a home! - building Snakehaven Ranch

OK so this is gonna be a long one, theres a story to tell, hopefully you wont get bored.

So I moved to Texas in December, 2005 for a job - to take over and overhaul the reptile/amphibian/fish section of the local Zoo.
    I bought a nice house - 4000SF was waay to big for a single guy, but it had a killer workshop and was on 5 acres, outside city limits meant I could keep my venomous snakes and crocodiles that moved out here with me. Besides, I sold my house in Florida just before the market completely collapsed and made a nice profit on it so I could pay cash for the place.
    Since then a lot of things have changed, mom n dad moved out here to be closer to me - my 12 yr older brother also sobered up from a lifetime of drug abuse and moved out here. I got the new Zoo facility done and had issues with the new management and left the place to rot - but my whole family was now out here - my wheelchair bound mom, my hardheaded old man and my newly re-humanized brother.
    Things kept changing fast.
    My brother was diagnosed with the big C and died inside of a couple of months, I got married, and my dad decided to pass away all in under a year (2011 can kiss my ass!).

When he arrived out here, dad had bought a chunk of land out here with somewhat of a history.
    It was 80 acres, and just bizarre as hell.
    There were Christmas lights EVERYWHERE. Electric boxes sticking up out of the ground EVERYWHERE (7 MILES of buried cable!), strange walls of plywood along a winding path, giant tunnels of steel poles and chicken wire, a ticket booth looking deal where you came in the gate and the pair of ginormous concrete deals (that look like tits) full of weirdness - more on those in a sec.
    Did I mention there were Christmas lights EVERYWHERE? Like volkswagon beetle size piles of christmas lights and most of the thousands of trees were wrapped in them.
    Turns out the place had been known as Celebration Park and had been a big Christmas attraction boasting over a million lights, a mile long drive through lighted tour, and the igloos were home to a laser light show in one side and a stage for Santas lap photos and christmas plays in the other.
    Opened for the public in 1997 and lasted through the 2005 holiday season, it was a pretty big deal around here - here's an article on the opening - http://www.texnews.com/local97/ken110597.html

The day dad decided to pass on, he deeded the place over to me.
    He had started overhauling one of the domes into a living area several months prior to stay busy.
    A few months later, my wife and I decided to finish it up and move out there.
    Being a reptile guy at heart, having over 20 years of working with venomous snakes under my belt, and being as this is Diamondback caked west Texas, a name change was the first order of Business and the concept for Snakehaven Ranch came about.

With the help of my best friend Chris (cjb321 on here) we've been continuing dad's construction and turning 2 50' diameter, 35' tall concrete domes connected by a 25'x25' concrete building into somewhat of my wife and my dream home.
    The concrete should be easy on the heat and air bills, plenty of room for Venom Customs to exist and grow, room for a family, my own rifle range, deer, pig, turkey, dove, whatever hunting outside my door, etc.

End result will be a 2 bedroom/2bath upstairs loft, with living room, kitchen, eating area, den/office down, plus 1 & 1/2 baths down, laundry, utility, mechanical room in the connector building - other dome will stay open for a workshop for now and can always be built up later if need arrises.

Cool features so far thought of and included in the design:
    built in, hidden gun safe
    blue lighting behind the walls to shower up the dome
    fire pole to slide down from master BR
    lots of built in cabinets in the walls, some hidden, some not
    recessed flush entertainment center
    going to leave the 12x12 steel roll up door in place and frame in a passage door and windows on the exterior of it so the steel door can still be rolled down for security inside the door/windows
    no windows in the 8" thick concrete dome, so drilling holes to mount small digital cameras outside to feed into a 24" LCD screens on the wall inside to make "digital windows"
    all concrete - storm/zombie proof
    stuff like that

So here are the pics...

The tits....
    from google earth

IMAGE_571DD76C-70FF-42BD-B8F4-3B7B0B011B4A by Venom Customs, on Flickr

from the front

IMAGE_DC52F33E-8DAF-449E-AAAD-EE70FDBCEA79 by Venom Customs, on Flickr

back

IMAGE_E54F4850-8A19-4C2A-B189-9DE11FA7B83F by Venom Customs, on Flickr

The view

IMAGE_7F20BB34-92D5-4ECD-98BA-E4D2FC675412 by Venom Customs, on Flickr

starting with a round concrete building sucks - framed walls in an octagon around the outside and a central octagon in the middle to hold up floor joists for a partial 2nd floor/loft

IMAGE_5881A37A-E668-40EB-B52B-DFC4823B44DE by Venom Customs, on Flickr

upstairs partially decked in

IMAGE_93775823-B1F9-4A04-840F-0E2A2097872C by Venom Customs, on Flickr

the soon to be entry hall

IMAGE_155D2B96-A55F-40D5-89CA-7EBBA7A3C84B by Venom Customs, on Flickr

looking down from the bedroom/loft area at the living room - and chris saying hi after a rough evening laying plywood

IMAGE_034A46B6-F884-44BD-8783-2D7021F2E02D by Venom Customs, on Flickr

looking down at the hallway to the other dome - 2 bathrooms on the left, laundry, utility room on the right

IMAGE_913E2386-C4B5-4266-966B-58C087D4AFC2 by Venom Customs, on Flickr

more random pictures

IMAGE_1DF99491-9169-44BF-B871-6B8F51CBD30C by Venom Customs, on Flickr
    can I get my meds in a Princess Leia Pez dispenser please?

Looking good. You should paint nipples on the top for the next satellite update.... ::):

Ron

Date Committed
    Nov 2011

I wish I could see the pics but I'm on my phone so I will check it out on a computer when I can. Sounds bad ass. Wish I could check it out in person. Sounds so cool.

Good for you Larry. So sorry to hear about the shitty stuff going on in 2011 but hopefully your 2012 has been better.

Very cool.

Bryan
    Bryan