Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Nightmare Repair - Need tech advice from those who know ASAP!

Just 400 miles and three weeks after the TOB/Clutch was installed, I need to bring it back in for the same issue.

What could make a TOB go bad with less than 500 miles on it?

Jeep is now damned near impossible to get into 1st and 2nd gears and third ain't a picnic either.
    Throwout bearing chatters like crazy while it is IN gear (which is new) and it is driving like a drunk teenager on prom night.
    Getting some intermittent shudder when releasing the clutch in first gear where the clutch won't immediately engage. I suspect there could be a section of the pressure plate now has some of the oil that's leaking from my bellhousing on it.

If that is the case, would this render the brand new clutch I had installed useless?

Driveline vibrations could be coming from an unbalanced wheel, or maybe the rear driveshaft that wasn't marked in any way before removal/replacement and is clearly in a different position than it used to be.

Bellhousing is leaking fluid - couldn't tell if it was oil or coolant, but my coolant level is now beyond low - could explain the high amount heat on my ankles, which is also new. Could be they missed replacing the heat shielding there as well.

Here's what I know:
    Transfer case was hammered on with what appears to have been a metal sledge based on the marks. There are dings all over my transmission and around the bellhousing. Could this have caused something to fail internally, leading to the leaks I'm seeing?

Drive shafts were not marked for removal replacement and are clearly not in the same position they were before removal based on voids in the dirt pattern and clean metal where the yoke should be - I'm assuming this could be my drive line vibration at highway speeds
    Last edited by Dan; 08-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Wow, and I thought I had issues. Mines in the shop for poor shifting as we speak. I've had everything replaced except the input shaft bearing since I replaced the clutch myself. Which worked fine until I got what I thought was TOB noise. Figured I'd let "The Pros" do the next TOB so the wife wouldn't be on my ass thinkin it was my fuck up. Since then I've also replaced the clutch master cylinder. Sounds like we have similair problems. Where did you get the work done? I think that would be my first call. I'll let you know what my peeps find out today.
    Hey Dickhead, get out of the fast lane! Unless you're passing of course.

Went to a local shop I've dealt with before. Seemed like he had a good local rep and he's been there 35 years, so I figured it was a decent place to go. FML

So I go back to the shop today to show him it's leakin at the bellhousing, tough as hell to shift & all the other points of concern and the guy's just not willing to accept any possibility of it being his fuck up. So I bring it to a local Aamco and have them take a look from the outside just to spitball the issue. Seems this guy doesn't know the difference between brake fluid and coolant as far as smell and taste. They did mention that doing the master and slave cylinders would be a good idea. Pretty sure that was where the leak's coming from.

I drove back to the other shop to see what he'll do about workin with me on the whole mess. On the way there, I lose all clutch pedal pressure. Can't shift in or out of gear using the clutch. So I shut down the engine, shift into 4L and bumpstart it. So there I am, flashers on, 1st gear all the way down to this dude's shop. By the time I get there, I'm ready to choke a motherfucker out just for stress relief. I stay remarkable calm until the guy tells me twice in a minute that I should calm down. At this point, I ask if he would like me to demonstrate the difference between what he's getting from me - which is the most calm I can muster, or me giving him the attitude of someone who just had the work completed in his shop fail less than 500 miles later on his $30,000.00 vehicle. Because I'm dying to show him the difference.

Monday, it goes to AAmco and we'll see what they have to say. I'm gonna be a pain in their ass at Aamco because I will need to see each part as it comes out to ensure it wasn't fucked up during the previous install. We'll see how it goes. I'll post back once there are any developments.

Fuckin shitty work just pisses me off.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Dan
    Did he give you this look?

Edit: just realized this was in tech and I have added zero tech advice, sorry.
    Last edited by tcDawg; 08-25-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    TC
    Crawling For Reid May 13 - 15, 2016 Adventure OffRoad Park
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670437756568674/