Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Opening a Warn 9.5ti

I got a in-cab winch control panel from 12voltguy.com about 2 months ago, and I'm finally getting around to installing it. I couldn't really find any info on how to open a Warn 9.5ti, so I went into this pretty much blind. Probably best to remove the winch, depending on your bumper/mounting point.

Remove the motor shroud, (4 small allen bolts)

On the other side remove the 3 allen bolts shown. ( I had already pulled the bottom one in the pic)

Finally, remove the 2 allen bolts and the "hidden" allen bolt underneath the motor shroud. AFTER ALL BOLTS ARE REMOVED, THE WINCH CAN SEPARATE, so be careful!

The 4 bolts that are closest to the FRONT of the winch (2 on each side) can be removed if you want to just get at the solenoid bank. I wanted my connections for my winch control to be closer to the handheld input for weather purposes.

This last picture is a close up of the connections... You need a test light to determine IN and OUT.

Putting this back together can be tricky, as gear teeth have to line up. This plastic box was a terrible place to work, and a flat surface that doesn't dip under the weight of the winch would've helped. Everything works as it should, both with the handheld and the in-cab winch. I'll post pics of the finished product upon my return.

And here's the panel. Overall, a very clean install. SFCCotton's write up helped me out with the pics from his install in regards to cutting the dash for the panel location. This thing works as it should, and the little bars protecting the on/off switch are great at keeping your knee from turning it on by accident.
    Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 02-19-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If I were to be around you and you smelled like cake then I probably would retract my statement about disliking you.
    الساق مع الديك

Any Pics on the Switch? I was Looking at this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Http://www.jesteroffroad.com Give him a try for your Offroading Needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    lol, I'm rich with family and friends. Just let us know and we will make it so.:toast:

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Looks good JW. I love 12volt guys stuff.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Nice writeup. Post a pic of the switch install when you get it done, I'd like to see that.

Under Observation GoodysGotaCuda's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Very nice, I'd like to do an inside control setup on mine.
    I like turtles

that is freaking sweet.. to maximize your new mod always have a passenger to pull cable..:2cent:

My WARN XD9000 has a detachable solenoid box that I have up by the battery. I did the same thing for in cab controls. Wiring looks the same, it was trail and error for me but I got it figured out.

004.JPG

008.JPG

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Why not this?

I had ones of those for a while and it broke so I did the in cab switch.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    So what is the advantage of being in the Jeep to run the winch? Keeping the RPMs up, to charge the battery?

If you are winching someone else, RPMs and foot on the brake. If you are winching yourself out you sorta need to be in the cab to steer and it saves connecting the winch cable.

It's not that you can't do that with the normal cable, it's just a time saver is all.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
    If you are winching someone else, RPMs and foot on the brake. If you are winching yourself out you sorta need to be in the cab to steer and it saves connecting the winch cable.

It's not that you can't do that with the normal cable, it's just a time saver is all.

10-4, thank you.

Under Observation GoodysGotaCuda's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    x2 for RPMs and holding the brake. For how sorry the factory e-brake holds and driving a manual, it doesn't take much to drag my Jeep to what I am trying to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by KILLING FLOOR View Post
    Why not this?

Looks like something else for me to lose and maintain batteries in!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
    x2 for RPMs and holding the brake. For how sorry the factory e-brake holds and driving a manual, it doesn't take much to drag my Jeep to what I am trying to pull.
    Try winching a totally dead H1 out of Cliff Hanger. It took my JK and an XJ and we had another H1 strapped to our asses to anchor us :).

P4063096.jpg

P4063102.jpg

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Must be a popular place to break down. A picture I took of my friend getting a strapped out of the same place.:):)

Added a pic of the winch control panel.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Looks great. I love the 12 volt guy stuff

Finally got this thing back together and installed. The sliding ring gear froze due to rust in my "sealed" winch and it wasn't too bad to disassemble and repair. I used marine grease this time, which is a little more viscous than the recommended, so we'll see if any issues develop. Cost about 6 dollars in parts and works much gooder now.

Gooder job young padawan

Sent from the ether
    Hands up, Don't shoot!