Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Hard top fix

Date Committed
    Dec 2011

Question Hard top fix

A couple years I hung my hard top in the barn when a gust of wind shifted the weight and caused to slip off the straps that were supporting it. It fell 3' on to concrete causing a crack to the bottom corners in the rear. My winshield wiper fluid connection leaks from inside the connection. I had bedlined the exterior to mask the white fiberglass.

My ? is: Has anyone had to repair a cracked hard top? And how do you do about DIYing it yourself.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Orlando
    2 more years and counting.......

Too bad your not closer.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I have not fixed my crack, which is tiny but I do know that it was a pain to get touch up paint for it. Dealer said they didn't have it. Had to find the number myself and take it to them. If anyone needs it I think I can find it again.
    Hey Dickhead, get out of the fast lane! Unless you're passing of course.

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    It's made of SMC, not regular fiberglas. I've seen repair write-ups...hold on, I'll search for some info.

There's a write-up on JKO where dude "cut corner reinforcements out of sheet metal and used a 3M panel bonding adhesive ( 3M 8115) for metal to plastic bonding for the permanent hold."

Not sure if that helps <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
    Too bad your not closer.
    Any good advice on DIY repair or what to look for when taking it to a body shop?
    Last edited by gold knight; 05-25-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    N00B's click here!
    Larry T (my wife has a green Jeep with a flat black muffler)

My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarr View Post
    Welcome. We don't bite. Well.......Jake does.......but only if you smell like cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
    Bacon is for eating, not for polls

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    What's SMS? Is it a mix of plastic and fiberglass?

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muddevil View Post
    What's SMS? Is it a mix of plastic and fiberglass?
    SMC, or sheet molding compound
    Well after some quick research it seems its just a difference in the resin; polyester based instead of epoxy based. So it appears you just have to make sure the repair stuff is compatible with it.

I GIS'ed it, this link looks interesting with lots of technical info.
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_7673682_sm...ass-resin.html

Here's the JKO write-up. After reading all that other stuff I'll go edit my post accordingly.
    http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40455
    The first thing to note and the reason I decide to post this is that most people think this is fiberglass and can be repaired with traditional matting and resin. This is NOT true. The top is made of SMC. Fiberglass resin may work and it may hold up for smaller repairs but over time fiberglass and SMC will expand and contract at different rates and the repair will not last, not to mention you won’t get proper adhesion of the fiberglass to the SMC. I am sure there are exceptions to this.
    ^^^from what I just read this is not entirely true. You may have good results using mat and the correct resin. IDK
    Last edited by gold knight; 05-25-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the info. Once I get my hard top back on, I'll my first priority. It's sitting in my friends back yard. Maybe I'll do it before I get it on. Thanks again GK.