Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register

Ford 8.8 rearend swap.

Here are a few pics of the swap.I removed the original D35 with a Spartan locker and installed a 8.8 from a '95 Explorer. Its a limited slip with disc brakes. The swap went pretty smooth, the only hang up was the driveshaft was too long from behind the automatic. I had to use the old shaft from behind the 5speed. Thats a whole nother thread.

Swap complete.

Last edited by Trailrider; 03-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.

great swap, i had one in my 87 yj but if you plan on jumping it (dont laugh) id get a truss for it, i bent mine from one jump and hard rock crawling.

Lol!!! I dont plan on jumping it, but do plan on alot more rock crawling. The axles tubes have already been welded. I do plan on putting a truss on it pretty soon. My brother-in-law owns a metal fabrication shop. He does all my welding for me. He built my rear bumper for a birthday gift. Cant beat that deal! lol

def cant beat a b-day gift like that. fwiw i drove the jeep for over year on the bent axle, it ate up the locker, made my tires bald on the insides. and kept breaking c-clips, when a c-clip did break the brakes would hold the alxe in till i could get home.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
    def cant beat a b-day gift like that. fwiw i drove the jeep for over year on the bent axle, it ate up the locker, made my tires bald on the insides. and kept breaking c-clips, when a c-clip did break the brakes would hold the alxe in till i could get home.
    Hahahahaha!!! Thats one benefit of the disc brakes.

But like I said, NO JUMPING!!!!