Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Date Committed
    Jan 2012

Backspacing question

Is there any reason that a 3.5" backspace on 17 x 9" wheel would be a bad thing?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    2010 Black Rubi Unlimited
    RC 3.25" - Mopar Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Cobra WX75, Wilson FGT3 - LoD Rails - #1 mod = Britax seat for the cargo!

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    I wish my 17 x 8 wheels were 3.5 bs. Ive got 4.5 and they rub the lower RK control as at full lock. I've got two washers on the steering stops, so I loose some turning radius.

I don't see a problem with the 3.5" bs at all. You may loose some coverage from your fender flares but that's a minor issue in my mind.
    TC
    Crawling For Reid May 13 - 15, 2016 Adventure OffRoad Park
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1670437756568674/

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for your input...I only want to order wheels once, so I'd like to learn from anybody else's mistakes.

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    James just put some 3.5" backspacing on his... I thought it would put some additional stress on the BJ's, but I'm no expert on this....

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
    James just put some 3.5" backspacing on his... I thought it would put some additional stress on the BJ's, but I'm no expert on this....
    I was also worried about that. If a steel wheel and 35" tire weighs 120#, pushing 1" out past center would place approximately 13.3 lbs more weight on the outside of the hub and that is un-sprung weight.

I don't have legitimate input here about the ball joints, but I have 3.5" BS on my wheels and I can take some pictures if you're looking for the distance they stick out from factory fenders.
    2004 TJ

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0aba888.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dr. Dirty just won the Internet singehanded.

Date Committed
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingGinger View Post
    I don't have legitimate input here about the ball joints, but I have 3.5" BS on my wheels and I can take some pictures if you're looking for the distance they stick out from factory fenders.
    Thanks for the offer, but I live in Kansas where I can run without fenders if I wanted...even though I have full fenders, I like the wide stance look.

The reason I'm considering having Marsh make my wheels @ 3.5" BS is in case I decide to get 13.5" wide tires for my next set. Currently I have 31K miles on factory ball joints and by the time I drop all of my money on wheels and tires, I was just concerned my DD may have to sit in the garage until funds come available for new Synergy BJs.