Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lifetime Tent Trailer from Costco

Well folks, I sold my 74 CJ-5 recently and purchased a Lifetime Tent Trailer to fill it's place the garage. I've done a lot of research on them but there's not a lot of information out there. My wife really liked the idea but we knew we'd have to sell the CJ to fund it. The rest of the money is going to other JK things, but I'm really excited none the less. Here's the demo video on youtube if anyone isn't familiar with it.

We paid $2799 shipping included from Costco.com With California tax it came out to $3016.99. I was a bit taken back at the price but when compared to other trailers like the jumpin jack (about $5k+) and the expedition style (A lot$$) it was a good option for us. If I had the ability and tools I might consider building one for myself but this is the best option for us.

It will help fill the void of not owning a pickup to get firewood, trips to home depot, or any other shit I need to haul around. I think this will work out perfect for us.

I'll try to post as much information I can about it for other people who may be interested.

Doing some searches here's the Jumping Jack and Lifetime differences I found on another forum. I happened to stumble across it again, thought I'd share the information here for others to have as reference.... These opinions are not my own, they are results from web wheeling the net

"Jumping Jack vs. Tent Trailer

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Jumping Jack is a 6x8 foot trailer while the Tent Trailer is a 5x7 foot trailer. So the Jumping jack carries more but has a wider wheel base. The Jumping Jack has a single wing that folds down and the tent trailer has a double wing that folds over and out that needs wing supports. Tent trailer has more sleeping area unless you purchase the extra bed converter for the jumping jack which makes the extra floor space smaller than the tent trailer. Both are around 95-96 sq. feet of room. At this point, there are more accessories for the Jumping Jack like the cooler rack, water rack and sink rack. It looks like the Jumping jack is a little quick to set up and take down. Jumping Jack GVWR is 3000 while the Tent Trailer is 2000 however the Tent Trailer is about 350 pounds lighter.

I've been looking for a Jumping Jack trailer for about 2 years but they weren't sold in Michigan. I almost had one on Craigslist but someone purchased it about an hour before I called to say I'll take it. So when Costco started selling this new tent trailer, I reviewed both designs and figured I would go with the tent trailer. Main advantage was cost and ability to purchase (and delivered). Over the Jumping Jack, I like that the beds are bigger without the bench accessories and the trailer is lighter/small which tracks nicely behind my Tacoma. Disadvantage is the wing supports that require a bit more level ground when set up but they do adjust up and down."

Both trailers are good deals, it just depends on what you plan to do with it."

1) JJ can carry 2 full-size ATVs, LTT only one (1800 lb payload vs 900)
    2) LTT smaller in width, with a much larger sleeping area stock (just two inches from a queen sized sleeping area on each side). For me, this was a huge plus... smaller trail footprint with a larger sleeping area.
    3) JJ tent setup very quick. For me, meh. LTT pretty quick also, but not "pop and go" like the JJ
    4) JJ has canvas tent from what I understand, LTT has "rubberized" nylon.
    5) Both are constructed using the same materials and concepts. Same company makes both (Lifetime purchased JJ). My guess is this was in JJ's product development pipeline before the purchase, and Lifetime decided to brand it under their own name.
    6) No brake option on the LTT.
    7) LTT is leaf-sprung solid axle, JJ is torsion bar suspended. A plus to the JJ in my opinion.
    8) Integrated lights on the JJ... they hang off the sides of the LTT. For what it's worth on the LTT the lights are surrounded by very heavy steel plates.
    9) Currently a lot more factory accessories for the JJ, next to none for the LTT. Hopefully, that changes over time.
    10) Price... When I got my LTT, it was $3k at Costco. For that price, used JJs were on craigslist in my area, but I went this route anyway. I think the LTT now lists for $3500 at Costco. Primarily, this is because JJ has been around for a while, whereas the LTT looks to be new in 2009. Eventually, the used market for the LTT will place these in an even lower price category.

Like I said, I saw some of these differences as a positive in the direction of the LTT, but you may have differing requirements and needs. I personally wanted a profile that matched the width of my JK. Those with full-size trucks may not care about the 91" width of the JJ.

In fact, having just finished reading the Expo West link in full, I would say the LTT has all of the advantages the author lists in his conclusions (sturdy construction, an amazing amount of tent room), with none of the disadvantages (too wide)."
    Last edited by VikingGinger; 11-23-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Thought I'd toss up some pictures of the progress of the Lifetime Tent Trailer. I've completed it but don't have pictures of it with the tent up yet. I'll be taking some tomorrow. It was pretty wet outside when I finished. I'll have it set up in the sunshine to ensure it's completely dry before storing it away for a few days.

Here's some more pictures as promised. I was able to install the lift with the help from a friend just in time to go enjoy both this weekend! I went to my firewood guy and loaded up the whole rear space of the trailer with logs. The trailer pulled just fine, had some very strong winds and didn't have an issue. My only issue is the hamster under my hood. Overall had an awesome weekend, I just need to tweak a couple things with the lift.

For reference, my lift is a RK 3.5" X-Factor mid arm, Smittybilt rear bumper and I'm using a 6" drop receiver hitch.

Using the utility feature of the trailer to make a run to the dump tomorrow, here's what it looks like.

Sides folded up with the tent bag still in...

Tent bag pulled out...

Loaded up! You can see cross support bars can be put in four different locations. Front and rear upper and lower positions.

Picked up about a half cord of firewood a couple weeks ago..

Bringing home my new wheels and tires..

Hauled my motorcycle 2500 miles for a road trip

Last edited by VikingGinger; 11-23-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Interesting... I never even knew there was anything like that out there. Looks really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If I were to be around you and you smelled like cake then I probably would retract my statement about disliking you.
    الساق مع الديك

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Good looking trailer Chris.. It didnt take you all that long to set it up at KOH

Very cool! Great write-up comparison!
    SEVENSLAT4X4
    JEEP ALWAYS
    WWW.SEVENSLAT4X4.COM
    2008 JEEP WRANGLER JK SAHARA - TERAFLEX 4'' COMPLETE SUSPENSION SYSTEM - SHROCKWORKS FRONT MID-WIDTH BUMPER WITH SKID PLATE AND SMITTYBILT XRC-8 WINCH
    SHROCKWORKS REAR STUBBY BUMPER WITHOUT TIRE CARRIER - TERAFLEX FRONT AND REAR DRIVESHAFTS - MICKEY THOMPSON 315 70R17 BAJA MTZ TIRES - CUSTOM RENEGADE GRAPHICS

Cool tent trailer man!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    sweet set up. i love costco

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
    Interesting... I never even knew there was anything like that out there. Looks really cool.
    There's a handful of them out there, the other one similar to this is the Jumping Jack trailer. Looks pretty nice but comes with a heavier price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirty View Post
    Good looking trailer Chris.. It didnt take you all that long to set it up at KOH
    Thanks! It took a bit longer than normal because I was by myself at KOH, but it still was a breeze. Typically with my wife helping it'll probably take about 10 mins, they claim 8 mins but we're not that good... yet! Take down is the super easy part, it really falls into place and zips up in the bag very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVENSLAT4X4 View Post
    Very cool! Great write-up comparison!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
    Cool tent trailer man!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    sweet set up. i love costco
    Thanks guys!

Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info.
    I Love The Life I Live, I Live The Life I Love

Asshole At Large Bat Shit Crazy Karnuvore's Avatar
    Date Committed
    Nov 2011
    I own an M416 and some 50s era civilian Jeep type trailer and I have considered a tent for one of them. That thing is fucking interesting. Certainly gives me ideas. But damn - the price! It's not easy being a cheap bastard.

Bad as hell though.
    These pipes.....are CLEAAAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karnuvore View Post
    I own an M416 and some 50s era civilian Jeep type trailer and I have considered a tent for one of them. That thing is fucking interesting. Certainly gives me ideas. But damn - the price! It's not easy being a cheap bastard.

Bad as hell though.
    The price was tough for me to decide on at first, but we're happy with the purchase so far. I have looked at military trailers in the past, and if i had the fabrication skills I would probably own one of them instead. I like those military trailers with the expedition style tents mounted up above them.

Thank you very much for the writeup. Like some others, I've never heard of this but have long wanted something like this. There's just not enough room inside the Jeep to take the family and gear. Hmmmmmmmmm....

Ok Follow-up question(s).

How heavy is it empty? Edit: 880 pounds with tent

Can it be stored on its end/tail standing up?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mojave; 02-20-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Ok Follow-up question(s).

How heavy is it empty? Edit: 800 pounds with tent

Can it be stored on its end/tail standing up?

Thanks.
    I was thinking 850 with the tent for some reason, but I believe you. The tent bag removes easily to use as a utility trailer. I really don't know how much the bag with the tent itself weighs.

With the tire and axle location I don't think you'd want to stand it up on it's end. There's also latches on the back of the trailer that clasp down the fold out wings. I can't say it cant be done, but it's not designed to. When I tip it up to get water off the tent bag after it rained a couple times recently I probably made it to about 30 degree angle before the rear tapped the ground.

Oops, typo. 880 pounds with tent. Tent is 90 pounds. so Empty is 790. Got these off the costco site.

Just not sure where to put it, but I really like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Oops, typo. 880 pounds with tent. Tent is 90 pounds. so Empty is 790. Got these off the costco site.

Just not sure where to put it, but I really like this.
    Selling the CJ gave me the garage space, which was quickly occupied by stuff spread out everywhere. Now with the trailer in the garage, it gets a bunch of shit stacked up on top of it, lol.

Looks like a good all around trailer
    Http://www.jesteroffroad.com Give him a try for your Offroading Needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
    lol, I'm rich with family and friends. Just let us know and we will make it so.:toast:

Date Committed
    Dec 2011
    Neat trailer and writer. That's not too bad considering we have a 1999 Coleman pop up that I paid $2500 for and doesn't have near the utility of that trailer! (granted it a furnace and stove, but that's about all of the difference). Not having a pickup truck that is a nice option to have the utility trailer! My wife would never let me get rid of the popup, or I'd be on one of these for the all around utility.